Dr. Becky McKnight, earned her Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology at UCLA and received her Psy.D. (Doctorate of Psychology) in 2009 from Alliant International University's California School of Professional Psychology in San Diego. She has over 9 years of experience in the mental health field working with a diverse group of adolescents through elder adults struggling with myriad of health concerns ranging from depression and anxiety to PTSD and parenting issues.
Dr. McKnight uses a bio-psycho-social model which looks at how biological, psychological, and social (or interpersonal) processes interact in each individual's life. She notes that “Wellness involves the mind and the body”. Her work incorporates how your unique personality and past experiences have influenced your life and how you view the world, as well as what is currently keeping your problems from being resolved and how to get past them. Her goal is to tailor an approach that works best for each unique individual through a collaborative discussion of your goals and needs. Her work focuses on identifying unhealthy patterns, strengthening your sense of self, and learning to change maladaptive thoughts and behaviors.
“I believe that people come to therapy when they feel stuck in their lives. The combination of having someone to help you gain insight, gently challenge you, and provide you with new skills, and your own personal strengths and motivation, work together to help you move forward.”
Professional Activities and Memberships:
- Member of San Diego Psychological Association
- Member of American Psychological Association
- Presented at 2010 APA Conference and 2011 CPA Conference.
Dr. McKnight provides individual and couples counseling for adolescents and adults.
Treatment specialization includes therapy for:
- Depression, Mood Disorders
- Anxiety (including Generalized Anxiety, Panic Disorder, OCD)
- Couples Counseling, including pre-marital therapy
- Parenting Support
- Grief Counseling
- Work, Career, and Parenting issues
- Stress Management
- Addiction & Recovery
- Conflict Resolution
- Relationship Issues
- Issues related to trauma and PTSD
- Fitness/Weight Loss/Motivation/Self-Esteem
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
Dr. McKnight also provides Psychological Evaluations.
Some common reasons for testing include:
- Personality Assessment
- Diagnostic Clarification
- Personal interest
- Fitness for Duty for a job
- Requested/recommended by the courts
- Juvenile Probation
- Substance Abuse Assessment
- ADHD evaluation
- Evaluation for disability or learning disorder
- Egg Donor evaluations
- Federal Aviation Administration evaluations
- PTSD evaluations
- Aviation Professionals
- Bisexual Allied
- Gay Allied
- Lesbian Allied
- Transgender Allied